The Commonwealth Commission in the United Kingdom is offering thirty seven (37) full scholarships for postgraduate studies for Kenyan students tenable in UK institutions of Higher Learning starting in October 2020. Eighteen (18) of the scholarships are for PhD while the remaining nineteen (19) are for Master Degrees.
The awards are tenable at any approved UK University or higher education institution with which the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission has a part- funding agreement.
A list of these institutions can be found at:
Full details of the scholarships are available at: http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/applicants
Candidates are required to state in their application which of the following CSC’s six development themes, they are applying under:
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity
Candidates will be asked in their application to select up to three (3) Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) relevant to their development impact.
All candidates must demonstrate explicitly in their application the direct and applied relevance of their study to the development of Kenya.
Duration of scholarships:
- One (1) year taught Masters courses
- Doctoral degrees of up to three (3) years
- For Master degree scholarships, be a holder of at least upper 2nd class honors, have two referees and must state the source of funding at undergraduate level
- For PhD scholarship be a holder of a very good Masters’ degree and should have two referees as well as proof of support from a prospective supervisor in at least one chosen institution in the United Kingdom.
- Are serving in the country in the Public Sector
- Are below 35 years for Masters Degree and 45 years for PhD.
All eligible candidates must read and adhere to the following guidelines strictly:
- Obtain PRELIMINARY SCHOLARSHIPS APPLICATION FORM from the Ministry of Education, Directorate of University Education offices located at Telposta Towers, 27th floor room 2701. The application forms can also be downloaded from the Ministry website: http://www.education.go.ke/
- Apply for the scholarship electronically by following the link: http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/
- Complete the Electronic Application System (EAS) form online BUT download and print three (3) sets before submitting it electronically to the Commonwealth Commission.
- Apply through your head of department by submitting one (1) set of the hard copy of Preliminary Application form from Ministry of Education and a completed EAS form with certified photocopies of ID, academic/ professional certificates, transcripts, Birth Certificate, other testimonials and a proposal in the area of study for PhD applicants to the Directorate of University on the address: Director – University Education, Ministry of Education. P.O. Box 9583 – 00200,NAIROBI
Deliver to Telposta Towers, 27th floor, Room 2701 during working hours between 8.00 am to 5.00 pm.
- Complete applications should reach the Ministry not later than 1st November, 2019.
- Only shortlisted applicants shall be contacted through e-mail /phone call from the following numbers 0773825305 / 0771842051
- To be nominated does not in any way guarantee selection or placement
- Priority for PhD will be given to teaching staff in Public Universities.
[ Source – Ministry of Education | http://www.education.go.ke/ ]